Standard Learning Credits

We’ve created this ultimate guide to inform you of everything that you need to know about Standard Learning Credits and how to make the best use of them.

Home Page Hero


The MOD’s Standard Learning Credits (SLC) scheme provides Regular and Reserve Armed Forces service personnel with an incentive to professionally develop themselves throughout their military career.

Each year (1st April – 31 March) the MOD provides service personnel up to a maximum of £175 worth of funding to be used on certain course and qualifications. The funding can only cover 80% of the fees meaning a £200 course will only cost you £40.

There are a few things to be aware of when using your Standard Learning Credits that we’ll explain for you in this guide.

Am I eligible to use the SLC Scheme?

If you’re a Regular or Reservist member of the Armed Forces you’re eligible to use the Standard Learning Credits scheme so long as you meet the following criteria.

Eligibility Criteria.

  • You must complete MOD Form 1950 before the course begins.
  • The MOD Form 1950 must be signed by your line manager and education staff.
  • Your course must be of direct benefit to your personal development and to your service unless you’re in resettlement.
  • Your course must lead to a nationally recognised qualification, further details can be found in JSP.
  • You pay for the course upfront and claim back 80% of the value up to £175 upon completion.
  • The scheme doesn’t cover retrospective claims from previous financial years.
  • You can’t accumulate your Standard Learning Credits so if you don’t use them within the year you lose it.
  • You must be able to provide proof of payment and proof that you’ve completed the course.
  • You can use your Standard Learning Credits in conjunction with your Individual Resettlement Training Costs (IRTC) grant.
  • You can’t use your Standard Learning Credits in conjunction with your Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC)

    If you’re unsure about anything at all or want to learn about eligibility criteria, you can consult JSP 898, Part 4, Chapter 4 or your local education centre representative.

    How do I make an SLC claim?

    Once you understand the eligibility criteria, making a Standard Learning Credits (SLC) claim is simple.

    Step 1

    Once you’ve decided what course you wish to complete you need to complete MOD Form 1950 and get it signed by your line manager and education staff.

    Step 2

    Once you have approval from your line manager and education staff you can book and pay for your chosen course, make sure you keep your proof of payment for your claim.

    Step 3

    Attend and complete your course, you must obtain proof of this to support your Standard Learning Credits claim.

    Step 4

    Once your course is complete, submit your Standard Learning Credits claim and receive 80% of your costs back up to £175.

    How do I choose an SLC training provider?

    Choosing a training provider can be tricky and there’s so many to choose from. You’ll want to make sure that you’re getting the best possible learning experience that will set you up for success.

    We recommend that you do your own research by speaking to people you trust but remember that their experience may be limited to just one training provider and might not be able to offer a comparison. You could look through some (real) reviews or even give them a call but nothing’s better than visiting the provider in person and seeing things for yourself.

    BaselineUK has independently reviewed hundreds of providers to compile a list of recommended training providers that meet our extremely high standards, take a look below

    Prince 2 Logo


    Learn more

    Prince 2 Logo

    Trade Skills 4 U

    Learn more

    Prince 2 Logo


    Learn more

    Prince 2 Logo


    Learn more

    How do I choose an SLC training course?

    We recommend that you do your research by speaking to people that already work in the industry you plan to work in if you’re using your Standard Learning Credits for resettlement purposes in order to find out what’s the best courses you can do.

    When researching your training courses, try to do so with the awarding body of the qualification you stand to gain instead of directly with the training provider, this way you’ll get all the facts without the sales pitch.

    BaselineUK have reveiwed hundreds of resettlement training courses and qualifications that are industry recognised, take a look below to learn more.

    Prince 2 Logo


    Learn more

    Prince 2 Logo


    Learn more

    Prince 2 Logo


    Learn more

    Prince 2 Logo


    Learn more

    Who can I contact about my SLC claim?

    Depending on what you need to know we suggest that you contact your education officer or designated person in the first instance. Other people you may wish to speak to regarding standard Learning Credits is your civilian staff within your local learning centre, your careers officer or line manager.

    SLC scheme updates & further information

    JSP 882 is to be updated to reflect the recent temporary changes to the Standard Learning Credits (SLC) Scheme policy that will now be made permanent.

    The changes mean the SLC can be used for a broader range of personal learning and education activities. Courses are no longer required to lead to a nationally recognised qualification.

    In addition to this courses also no longer needs to directly benefit the service but must now just be in the interest of the services.

    SLCs can be used if you are required to pay fees in order to gain qualifications such as paying for certificates or diplomas as well as for one-off payments to access learning activeties such as Rosetta Stone, Course books and training materials.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    What’s the difference between Standard Learning Credits (SLC) and Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC)?

    Enhanced Learning Credits and Standard Learning Credits are completely different MOD schemes. They’re similar in their purpose but have very different qualifying criteria and rules that govern their use.

    How many Standard Learning Learning Credits claims can I make?

    You can make one claim per financial year whilst you’re a Regular or Reserve member of the Armed Forces.

    Who signs my Standard Learning Credits claim form?

    Your MOD Form 1950 must be signed by your line manager and education staff prior to starting your chosen course.

    How do I choose the right SLC learning provider?

    Take a look at the section above called ‘How do I choose an SLC learning provider?‘ but above all, we recommend that you take your time to do your research.

    How long do I have to use my Enhanced Learning Credits?

    Your eligibility to claim 80% of course/learning activity costs up to a maximum of £175 is reinstated each financial year (1st April – 31st March). You can’t claim retrospectively or roll your entitlement over to the following years, if you don’t use your Standard Learning Credits that year then you lose them.